I’m a huge fan of leftovers. Nothing quite like opening the fridge and finding some of last night’s tastiness ready to be enjoyed all over again. Same could be said for leftover music. The stuff here could have (and had I made the best of lists another day, would have) found it’s way on the mixes-o-joy.
However, due to the self-imposed space limitation, there were some nearly unforgivable omissions.
1) Animal Collective – Post Merriweather Pavillion / I really don’t know what to say. Pretty much everyone in the entire world of music says that it is hands down the best album of the year. I can certainly appreciate it for what it is. It really is an amazing achievement. I just don’t know. I think if I spent more of my time in an altered state of mind then I might be able to appreciate it even more. UPDATE: Just went to their website, and my suspicions were confirmed.
2) Dirty Projectors – Bitte Orca / I sort of like it, and I sort of don’t. Sorry.
3) The Low Anthem – Oh My God, Charlie Darwin / Just didn’t get around to living with it some. I like the one about Charlie Darwin though.
4) David Bazan – Curse Your Branches / Ditto.
5) Balmorhea – All Is Wild, All Is Silent / Great stuff here. “Harm and Boon” was on for a while, but had to take it off because it was the length of two songs. Shame.
6) The XX – XX / Truly an embarrassment that they didn’t find their way on.
Neko Case, Langhorne Slim, Brazos, Romona Falls, Barzin are all people that you should spend some time listening to.
Ok… one more surprise in store for you tomorrow.